Monday, January 17, 2011

My Wonderful Sinulog 2011 Journey

Getting ready for the walk

The moment has finally arrived, the actual feast of the Señor Santo Niño! 
Sinulog 2011 is finally on the loose! Come and join with me as I journey towards the Sinulog Grand Parade in this year's Grand Fiesta Sinulog celebration!

Around 1:00 in the afternoon, I started to get myself ready for this journey. It was memorable and exciting, since it was the first time that I would be exploring the streets of Cebu in a Sinulog celebration. I am now 18, yet experiences like these are not always granted, well, not by my parents though, but upon myself. Hehe, anyway, let's get the ball rolling!

Tribu Sun Valley Sandurot,
Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental
I managed to get a somewhat-aerial-view of this contingent as they perform their street dance presentation on an overpass just along New Imus Road (near the Brgy. Hall of Brgy. Day-As). I sort of knew that entry was forbidden since there were no people occupying the vicinity, but yours truly slipped breezily along the CITOM officer and got you this picture!

One of the out-of-town contingents and
won 2nd in the Street Dance competition. 
Together with their Governor,
Hon. Mohamad Khalid Quibranza Dimaporo.

Sinulog Hall of Famer: Sinanduloy Cultural Troupe

1st Place: Street Dancing & Sinulog-Based Category
Best in Musicality: Sinulog-Based Category
10th Straight Win in the Sinulog Competition



Different groups of people altogether celebrate the Sinulog. Even fraternities, sororities and international  brotherhood organizations gather to acknowledge the holy presence of the senyor. 

The only thing that I could not understand is that, why are there many people that quickly judge Catholics on our celebration and tradition, when we have conducted the activities for years already. I know there are vices, but please, not all persons (esp. us Catholics) are blaspheming or performing sacrileges to the Child Jesus, we also have performed our faith, let us have our way, as we have let yours.


Barbecue sa Cebu!
Food stands like this one flood the streets of the Grand Parade Route, better known now as the Cebu Carousel. It is called as such because there are large photos of different landmarks of the province erected on the streets. It is like travelling in a carousel with the beautiful sceneries of Cebu!


Could you just imagine how muddy the grand parade route have been? The weather on that day was really not that satisfactory. It was raining very hard by 2:00pm and all the dancers including me! got very wet.

The BEFORE and AFTER Shoes

"Boy Bawang ang cornick nang bayan!"
Hahahahhaha...
Imagine how filled with ruckus it might have been... 
The streets are filled with VERY many people and you do not know most of them.


But even though, it is glad to say, however, that a fiesta celebration and a long walk wouldn't be complete snacks on your hand!


A Snake! Yikes!!
And as I was continuing my travel along Mango Avenue, I saw a bunch of people circling around something... I joined their company, as if I am a part of them, and saw this HUGE snake!


I really don't like reptiles. You know, I could have borrowed the snake for a while, but my intuition tells me that it bites. So I said to myself, "NO."




Tribu Kandaya of the Haladaya Festival 
of Daan Bantayan, Cebu

4th Place Free Interpretation Category

Maggi Magic Lechon
I managed to get two sample cups of their "Maggi Magic Lechon." They sampled lechon for this season, the food itself is very delicious added with the magic seasoning of Maggi Magic Sarap! Who could have asked for more?

BRAINS!!!! Poor Brains, he's been slightly damaged
and is being repaired due to the heavy rain.

Together with the Queen of Tejero Elementary School
Bah! Finally got the chance to have a photo 

with a lead dancer...

Pundok Mangangasag of Tejero Elementary School
3rd Place - Sinulog sa Kabataan sa Dakbayan 2010

Holding the Niño...
And the day finally came to an end. The street dances were over and so were performances at the Cebu City Sports Center. But the parties and social gatherings have only just begun!

So, what are we all waiting for? It's still time to PARTY! PARTY! G2G!

No comments:

Post a Comment

General Comments