Sunday, March 6, 2011

My Father Prayed Hard Tonight

Maybe I cannot describe my family in terms of the level of how religious we are in terms of faith or even on areas pertaining on how we follow the traditions of our religion. And I cannot even give to you certain situations where the whole family whole-heartedly prayed the rosary or attend mass without one of us frowning (when we were younger) or worse, we would not even want to do those affairs. But one thing that I can be proud to say to you, especially for this evening, is that, "my father really has prayed very hard tonight."


It was only when I entered college, I think, when I finally learned how to properly pray. I do pray when I was younger, especially on my high school and elementary years, but to pray with all your might and devotion was only learned when the time I started college. Activities of the church, on the other hand, were participated but its true essence was not that emphasized. We go to church and attend mass, take the holy communion, and even follow novenas and fiesta celebrations, but my understanding on religion was too vague that I needed some sort of explanation or enlightenment, which is somehow, at present,  slowly being accomplished.

It was the first time for a long time that I actually saw my father pray. I cannot help myself but be proud of the "padre de pamilya" to have expressed his trust to the Almighty, where it came to the point that too much of me was deeply moved and tears could have fallen off my eyes. And I became very happy.

That moment, he has given me the inspiration to continue the good works of God and reminded me that good communication with the Lord is a key to have a better understanding of oneself and our community. As a character in Glee (a USA TV show) said, "You have to believe in something. Something that we cannot touch, taste or see. Because this world is too hard for us to go through it alone, without something (or someone) to hold on to."

I have not known what he has prayed for, but as I observed him, he was clapping his hands, so I assume that he is rejoicing and telling the Lord how thankful he is with the things, events, and trials in our life that we are blessed with (as we all should be).

And with those words, I would like to end this post with a prayer that I will compose in impromptu:
"Almighty God and Lord Jesus Christ, you are our 'someone' that we will hold on to. In times that we are down and need your everlasting guidance, love, and care, Your presence is actually felt. When time comes that hunger strikes us, You help us find ways. And when it comes that everything seems impossible, we lay our trust in You.
 Not much will be said this evening, a 'Thank You' and 'I will do my best' would, I think, be enough, for all the things that You have bestowed upon us. Thank you very much and may You continue to bless us, especially my parents, with the help of Your mercy and the kindness of Your heart, good health and shield from a series of unfortunate events.
Good night and may God bless us all!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment

General Comments